Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Ragnar Relay Del Sol- Team Rock Solid for Solid Rock

A little more than one week before Ragnar Relay Del Sol, I joined a team of complete strangers. Having run many Ragnars with strangers, I wasn't worried about it.  I knew 30ish hours with other runners could only end in friendship.

Ragnar Del Sol runs from Wickenburg, to Buckeye, back up to Surprise and Cave Creek, over to Fountain Hills and down to Tempe.  Lots of miles, laughs, food and in and out of the van.

The team captain, Kevin, was a Ragnar virgin and I worried about over stepping my boundaries. I've learned some things over my 12 Ragnars, team and van captain experiences and wanted to share but not be overbearing.  I can be a control freak at times, especially about 'the spreadsheet' and runners paces.  It's important to me that during the race to have an idea of when someone is expected to come in.  This helps the other runners and the other van to know when they will be running.  I've had some horror stories (like the gal who ran 12 min miles but said she would run 8:30's).

Kev, despite the fact of being a CPA (which are usually anal control freaks), was quite relaxed.  The relaxed disposition could have something to do with the fact he had a stent put in only the month before.  It was ok though since we had a doctor with a complete pharmacy on board.  Kevin is going to get a huge doctor bill from Doctor Gary for the 30 hour continual monitoring and the double time billing for all the questions I asked him and the eye liner re-application I required of Doctor Gary.

Our team name was Rock Solid for Solid Rock and we were raising money for Alice Coopers youth center Solid Rock.  The best part about running for this team were the incredibly awesome long sleeves shirts and the black eye liner I got to wear to mimic Alice Cooper.  In the middle of the night I would sneak up on people wearing my orange lit hair, black eyes and say ~SPOOKY~.  Seeing their reaction was priceless.

Rather than continue my ramble, here are pictures from the race.

Will and Gary actually listening to the safety briefing.  All I remember is the gal ATTEMPTING to be funny and talking about violating someone. (It wasn't that funny at all)



Lee (wearing bib 242) is runner #1 and starts the race in Wickenburg.  Only 200 miles to go!
Lee is off to a good start 
No, no, no…don't let someone pass you.  Trip them.
Lee's doppleganger.  The van made the mistake of thinking this runner was Lee (because of the grey shirt) and from that point we called him Lee's twin.
Lee hands off to Kevin.  I think he was worried we would miss seeing him out there so he wore the brightest colors he could find.
Vulture City graveyard from 1860.  Exchange 3
Ott ready to run his leg.
Hang loose
Kev explains for lunch he'd love to eat 1/2 a turkey. Heck, if you could also have an accordion player that would be the highlight of the day.
Out of everyone, Gary was the most consistent runner.  He was right on his pace for each of the runs (the rest of us got slower and slower)
Hey dad!  I'm flying!  I'm running 7:42's!

Sunrise at exchange 24

Yep, I look just like Alice Cooper

Will, Lee and Gary (awesome father and sons picture)

There's nothing like seeing the 12th runner coming across the bridge and finishing the race.

Stephanie bailed out the team joining at the last minute and ran our team in. 

Jordan, Ott, Gary, Russ, John, Stephen, Kim, Lee, Kev,
Stephanie, Lee, Justin and me (Christina)

Thanks 'Rock Solid for Solid Rock' for an awesome time. I had a blast!

1 comment:

Black Knight said...

Great photos and great race: congrats.
Indeed you are better than Alice Cooper.
Impossible not to see Kevin!